Apologies for the July 2 publishing date. Drake's new album just came out, so we gave ourselves 24 hours to start a new relationship and then get dumped in order to be in the optimal headspace for listening. So, in other words, we joined a dating app.
Here is your 21 song refresh for July...
- A meme told us that if we didn't cover the Drake album, we would be haunted by the ghosts of exes past, present and yet to come, so...
- The bassline from Nonstop made us want to vibe to Dead Prez's aptly named classic Hip Hop
- In My Feelings was a shameless choice (see listening shirt here)
- Nice for What is a mood. It will last all summer. Stop.
- On Don't Matter To Me Drake posthumously collabs with MJ (not getting into that argument), so had to include a King of Pop classic (Rock with You)
- We actually don't think Ratchet Happy Birthday is that great, but Drake on Cake is THAT great...so...yeah...
- SoCal's Jay Rock has been owed recognition for awhile, and his latest album should give him the Win he deserves (pun always intended)
- Tap Out features Jeremih (Impatient; Sunshine), one of our favorite R&B artists that everyone should have BEEN listening to
- The Black Panther soundtrack is still delivering hits (Kings Dead)
- couldn't NOT include SOB x RBE (Paramedic) who has been doing it in the Bay Area for a minute now - 707! Say it backwards!
- July 4th is this month (ha) and Jeezy's My President makes us feel patriotic
- Reggae/dancehall (Wine for Me; Problemz) has not received enough love on the list - you will be seeing more in the future
- Our favorite NY music festival is this month, so had to include some tracks from the headliners
- RL Grime (I Wanna Know) has evolved across multiple genres, which forced us to recognize Daya (New) - 19 years old...insane!
- Torey Lanez, continues his consistent hit stream (Talk to Me)
- Don't miss GTA (I Can't Hold On; All Caught Up) live this summer
- Flutes + trap = yes, please; thanks, Keys N Crates (Flute Loop)
Are we missing out on your favorite? Have music you want to share? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.